“Beauty Nerd” Is Going Cruelty-Free

Hello, everyone! In my latest post I’ve mentioned some changes and here’s one of them: from now on I’ll only use/talk about cruelty-free products. Let’s be honest, in 2018 it’s ridiculous that so many companies still test on animals. And it’s not like there are no alternatives, but greed makes the world go round. I’ve only owned one lipstick from them, but let’s use Nars as a cautionary tale. The company used to be cruelty-free but then decided to expand to China, where animal testing is required by law. They obviously made more money, but I am also fairly positive they lost people who supported them for years. As Chris Brown put it in a very poetic way, these Oreos ain’t loyal.

20170921908019509

Going cruelty-free is going to be a struggle, as I am a drugstore girl at heart. The hardest part will be finding a replacement for my beloved Revlon Colorstay foundation for dry skin. If you have any recommendations, I’m open to all suggestions. Looking on the plus side, my favourite lipsticks are already cruelty-free. I’m talking about NYX, one of the best makeup brands to grace our lives. Quick clarification: although the parent company is not cruelty-free, NYX is. Same goes for Urban Decay and Too Faced. Heck, even The Body Shop is owned by L’Oreal! However, as far as I am concerned, as long as their products remain cruelty-free, I am on board.

Although I could never afford them, I was shocked by how many luxury brands test on animals (again, most of them will try to confuse you, but they sell in China). Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Chanel, Tom Ford, YSL, Shiseido, Dior, Burberry and Guerlain are all on that naughty list. To be honest, I wouldn’t buy their makeup products even if I was loaded, but I love some of the perfumes these brands have out (Black Opium was the best, RIP). I was even more surprised to see that Khiel`s, L’Occitane, Simple and Origins are not as clean as they seem. I don’t know why, but I always thought that brands that use fewer chemicals/ focus on plants are cruelty-free as well.

Enough negativity though! Because thanks to Cruelty-Free Kitty, I have an extensive list of brands I’m dying to try out. If you’re thinking about doing the same thing as I did, I cannot recommend that blog enough, in order to help with the research. Like I mentioned above, it’s a long list, but the brands I am most excited about are: Jeffree Star, Kat von D, Anastasia Beverly Hills and Tarte since I haven’t tried anything from them before. Although there are fewer brands, drugstore makeup isn’t doing that bad. There’s E.L.F., Barry M, Gosh, Milani and Ofra.

I had a big makeup declutter a few months ago, so I don’t have to get rid of too many products. I never liked throwing things away, so everything that will go in the bin is either 80% used or expired. The other products I’ll give to family and friends because although I’ve made the decision to go cruelty-free, I am not forcing it on them. I think that pushing someone on a certain path is the worst thing you can do. You need to let everyone make their choices, even if they’re different to yours. Do I want all companies to stop testing on animals? Yes, but forcing you to go down the same path as me is not the answer. Rather than shaming, influencers should unite. And now I shall leave you, as I want to end this post as serene as Dalai Lama.

1. 06/11/2018 / 11:57 am

So informative! Thanks for sharing, ill take note of these cosmetic brands 🙂

2. 06/11/2018 / 12:34 pm

Cruelty-free is always the way to go! 🙂
    Dropped by from #BloggerBeesRT and glad I did.
    Hope this week treats you kindly. 🙂

3. 06/11/2018 / 1:34 pm

You definitely can’t go wrong with ABH! I hope you can find products you love as much as some of your faves xx

4. Pam
    08/11/2018 / 8:41 am

that is a big step and one I admire! As you test more and more cruelty free beauty products do let us know about them. Maybe you will inspire more to follow suit (including myself) 🙂
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

• 10/11/2018 / 8:22 am

That`s what I`m trying to do. I don`t want to push anything against someone else’s wishes, but hopefully with enough recommendations, more will follow.

• 10/11/2018 / 8:23 am

Really excited to feature more cruelty-free brands. Thanks for stopping by!

5. 10/11/2018 / 12:53 am

I have to agree with you on this subject. I think it’s shocking that the majority of big names including Benefit are still cruelty-brands. Like you say, it’s 2018! Since I began blogging a couple of years ago I’ve become more and more conscious and although I’ve featured brands such as Clinique and a few others which aren’t cruelty-free back when I started I wouldn’t personally buy cruelty brands again. The whole China problem has a lot to answer for and shows these brands out profit before animal welfare which is a disgrace.

As a fellow dry-skinned gal, my recommendation for foundation is The Body Shop Fresh Nude range. I currently use this and love it. However, as The Body Shop enlist some non cruelty-free bloggers as ambassadors for their brand their integrity is up for questioning.

For some, being cruelty-free rules out many opportunities the blogging world can bring. I’d rather miss those opportunities and put animal welfare before my own gain. Plus, I own two bunnies – Fudge and Smudge. It breaks my heart to think anyone could harm a defensless animal for the sake of the beauty industry. It’s just appalling.

If you need any other recommendations I’ve got lots of CF product inspo’ on my blog.

Have a lovely day!

Samantha x

• 10/11/2018 / 8:27 am

Thanks for your foundation recommendation! I`ll also check your blog for more inspiration. I agree, the opportunities for cruelty-free bloggers are fewer compared to others. Still, I`m not holding the fact that The Body Shop have non cruelty-free bloggers as ambassadors, against them. If the bloggers do a good job, I`m fine with it. I know many bloggers that are not CF, but they’re wonderful people. Like I said, I am hoping more people will use their voice against animal cruelty, but to each their own.