Overcoming My Negative Body Image

I`ve talked about struggling with body confidence before, and I`d love to say I`m OK with my body now. But I`ve made progress and realised that real changes can`t come until I change my mindset. Here`s the deal: I used to be skinny and then due to hormonal problems I gained 20 kilograms in a few months. I couldn`t recognize myself in the mirror anymore, and for the first time in my life, I felt hideous. I mean there were always little things I wanted to change, but until my health problems, I felt confident in my skin. It`s sad how often we equivalate our self-worth with our body-image. As I grew more unsatisfied with my body, I focused less on the qualities I liked in myself before. And all that negativity affected my life in ways I could not imagine. I started going out less because everything looked horrible on me. I complained to my husband constantly, and he`s a star for being so patient with me.

I know that some of you might think I exaggerate, I`m not that fat. ( I have 1.54m and 68kg) And probably I`m not. But because I gained these kilograms at once, it was harder to accept them. People were always making jokes that I hardly eat, and now they were saying I should watch my meals. And yes, people can be assholes. Like that cellulite that is so attached to my skin, it`s like a second layer. I could have wallowed in self-pity, but I realised I need to make some changes.

And the first thing I worked on was my mentality. I tried to remember the things that I liked about myself, like my goofy sense of humour or my intelligence. A good personality is worth more than a thousand perfect bodies, and I decided to concentrate on that. Then I focused on physical aspects, like the fact that I have a pretty clear skin. Trying to make the best out of a bad situation, I concurred that my extra weight finally gave me those boobs I never had. I know it might seem minor or trivial, but looking for the smallest things that make you proud can change your mindset completely.

When I got in a better place mentally, I also started to embrace my new body. I stopped dressing for the shape I used to have and looked for things that could fit me now. Lastly, I started making some lifestyle changes that hopefully will be effective in the long run. I know it will be harder to get fit because I`m still struggling with that hormonal imbalance, but I`m motivated. I wanted to regain my original weight, but now I have a new goal. I just want to be happy and healthy. And I know that it can`t happen if I constantly punish myself with negative comments. Granted, there are days when I`m 100% unhappy with what I see in the mirror. But I try to focus on the positive things, and if everything else fails, a killer makeup look will put the focus on your face and not your body. So there`s always that!

1. What Would V Wear
    10/05/2018 / 4:38 pm

Loved this honest post! You are such an inspiration! Much love!xoxo, Vanessawww.WhatWouldVWear.com

11/05/2018 / 5:33 pm

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

2. Frankly Flawless -
    10/05/2018 / 7:32 pm

Such a great honest post – and I think you look fab. But i get it- we all go through a love hate relationship with our bodies and time and other factors mean we can't always look the way we did before but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. A lot of things are also in our minds and we are own own worst critics! What we see in terms of the negatives, others don't xfranklyflawless.com

11/05/2018 / 5:34 pm

Yes, we are our worst enemies, and (social) media surely does not help. But we have to learn to accept ourselves.

3. Yiotou_La
    11/05/2018 / 7:44 am

You look amazing and red suits you so much!!! I gained some weight too lately and I feel so bad since my wedding is in 3 months and I want to look good in photos. I know that these things are in my mind and I make things worse since everyone else says I look like I used to a year ago but I don't feel the same. Glad to know you are feeling 100% positive!!! Happy Friday! Yiotahttps://pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com.cy/

11/05/2018 / 5:35 pm

I`m sure you`ll look fabulous on your wedding day, with or without those kilograms. It`s the happiest moment of your life, so focus on the positive.

4. Rosanna Briguglio
    11/05/2018 / 8:20 am

What a great idea to focus on the positive things! Beautiful pictures too!!Have a lovely weekend :)Rosanna xRose's Rooftop

11/05/2018 / 5:35 pm

Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

5. Courtney Hardy
    11/05/2018 / 10:41 am

I think you look amazing girl! You should just keep being yourself, and sometimes life gets hard and that is completely okay. You can eat what you want, and be free. It's awesome that you are embracing your new body! Keep rocking it girl.http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

11/05/2018 / 5:36 pm

Thanks, I`m trying to be more confident and to accept my extra pounds. Definitely feel better since I started doing that.

6. Annick Lau
    11/05/2018 / 11:17 am

the honesty in this is just so raw… I've been battling body-image issues from as young as I could remember so I commend you for taking a step back from your emotions to try to work your way through it to see all the positive things about yourself. You're absolutely beautiful and I hope you feel better soon. Sending love your way ❤️https://annicklau.com

11/05/2018 / 5:38 pm

Thank you so much! I am sad to hear you started feeling that at such an early age, but I hope you started to embrace your body, and focus on the positive.

7. Linda Libra Loca
    11/05/2018 / 12:03 pm

That s a great way of addressing the changes you went through, both physically as well as mentally. I experienced something similar with both pregnancis, my body changed so much I had a hard time adjusting. It took me almost two years to get to a point were I feel good about myself again and, funny enough, after I was in a better mindset, I slowly but steadily went back to my old weight. My body still looks different though, but I no longer care.Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

11/05/2018 / 5:39 pm

Sometimes when you stop worrying that`s when you see the most results. You went through two pregnancies, so why shouldn`t your body showcase that? It`s an impressive thing. Lots of love your way!

8. Heather Rowland
    11/05/2018 / 1:10 pm

Thank you for sharing such a beautifully honest and personal post – it was really inspiring to read! You look gorgeous in all of these photos!Heather xoxohttps://www.hefafa.me.uk

11/05/2018 / 5:40 pm

Thank you! It really helped me putting those words there, and I hope it will help other as well.

9. Jacquard Flower
    11/05/2018 / 2:17 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this. Glad you are feeling better and positive. Have a lovely weekend.Gemma xwww.jacquardflower.uk

11/05/2018 / 5:40 pm

Thank you so much, Hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

10. Rosy Ferry
    13/05/2018 / 12:45 pm

I love your honesty in this post and for the record, you look fantastic :)Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

11. Shireen L. Platt
    13/05/2018 / 10:49 pm

I know my words might not mean much but YOU LOOK AMAZING! Body image is something that I struggled with most of my life and shamefully I still have those down moments today. I am slim in many people's eyes but I see all and only my flaws. One day I will fully embrace myself and I am working towards it.Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

12. SofiaaDot
    14/05/2018 / 10:19 am

Thank you for the honest post!! To be honest back, you look gorgeous in the photos!!!xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

15/05/2018 / 8:28 am

Kudos to you love for opening up about something so personal. I have to say, your confidence is really shining in these shots. You look amazing and I love how you have started to focus on the good things! Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

14. Velvet Blush
    19/05/2018 / 3:01 pm

I understand why it must have been so difficult for you at first, if a part of me changed so quickly I would feel a bit odd and out of place, and I think that's a perfectly normal thing. Health problems can also knock our confidence quite a bit, but well done for not letting it get the best of you! I think you look lovely, and I also think that sometimes we do overlook and take stuff for granted, but there's a lot to be said for being happy and healthy! xVelvet Blush

15. Honeypot Blogs
    20/05/2018 / 1:01 pm

Ah this is something I constantly battle with, i literally piled on the pounds since I moved back to the UK and it's something I am trying to figure out! Great post dear!xxHoneypot Blogs

16. 05/07/2018 / 4:38 pm

I think everyone struggles with body image to varying degrees at different points in their life. I can remember being 17 and a size 3 and thinking back then “I’m fat” – but I would kill to be that size now! I’ve found that taking the time to find the right clothes for my current size makes a world of difference in my confidence level. Great post!

Angela at Blush & Pearls