Happiness 101: Adopting Good Habits

When I took a break from this blog, I wasn`t in my best place. I was tired of the same beauty posts and feeling uninspired. I was angry with myself for spending hard earned money just so I can keep up with the latest launches. I was also working full-time then, and the thought of maintaining two blogs was stressful. Fast forward to August 2017, I work part-time and have a different approach towards blogging. I`m not trying to write about the products that are in anymore. I want to talk about subjects that I`m passionate about, from mental health to travelling (the pics from this post are from my beautiful country;;) ). I might do a beauty post every now and then, but I’m not fretting if it`s not focused on the latest mascara.

Mental health is a subject that has always interested me. I suffered from depression in high-school and I get some bad moments even now (might do a post soon, if I am brave enough). Happiness is not something that you achieve lightly. Because it has nothing to do with material possessions or even the ones around you. I am grateful for many things, from my husband to the roof above my head. I know I have it good compared to others. But that does not mean I`m smiling 24/7. Happiness is a state of mind and I think that you can achieve that with practice. That`s why I`ve decided to create Happiness 101, a series of posts aimed at making you a joyful person.

Like I said earlier, happiness is a state of mind (and hormones, but let`s not get too technical). A compliment puts a smile on our faces. A day out with the family brings pure glee. But the tricky part is maintaining that euphoria after those moments pass. Truth be told, once a moment it`s gone, it stays that way. But we can get to a point where we`re at peace with ourselves and happiness comes from withing. I know it sounds like a bunch of hippies non-sense, but the power of the mind can achieve big things. Adopting some good habits will make you a cheerful person.

Sadly, this might be easier said than done. Before you do it, you should have an honest discussion with yourself and check the following:

• The motivation behind the habit
  • The satisfaction it will bring

Confused? Let me explain! For instance, take the clean eating movement. Will I adopt it just because that`s the trend? How will it help me? While I have nothing against it, clean eating is not for me. I like my salmon and my chicken. If I wanted to do it just because it`s the latest fashion, it wouldn`t have made me happier. But if the motivation behind it was my desire to become healthier, I could adapt it to my own needs. Have 3 vegan days for instance.

When you`re trying to embrace good habits, it`s also crucial to give yourself time and monitor your progress. I`m you`re a couch potato, you`re not going to run 10k the next day. But you can give yourself small tasks in order to achieve your goal. You can`t change your life over night, and wishing that will only put you in a miserable state of mind. My main good habits are focused on being more active and eating healthier. Because if you have a healthy body, it`s easier to work on your peace of mind. After that, I want to work on my confidence. But I`m well aware that it will be a long process.

Below I have listed 10 good habits that I want to adopt. Who knows, maybe you`ll like some as well.

• Have only one coffee per day
  • Wake up at 7 AM and go to sleep before 11 PM
  • Have 3 vegan days
  • Exercise 30 minutes before work
  • Leave daily complimentary post-its on my mirror (not narcissistic, therapeutic)
  • Sketch daily
  • Never go to sleep angry or stressed
  • Spend 10 minutes daily being grateful for what I have(or have a journal where I highlight the good parts of my day)
  • Compliment 5 people daily (good vibes only)
  • Meditate for 15 minutes daily

1. Velvet Blush
    03/08/2017 / 9:56 am

I can't wait to read more in this series! I agree, that often it's so hard staying in a happy frame of mind, and it's not really something that you can just achieve overnight. I really need to implement some of these good habits, I've heard exercise helps a lot x Velvet Blush

03/08/2017 / 11:30 am

Yes, as much as I dislike physical activity, it does wonders for your health.

2. Di from Max The Unicorn
    03/08/2017 / 12:14 pm

So important to blog about your passions instead of what's on trend! I'm also a fan of small, achievable goals. Good luck with reaching yours :)Di from Max The Unicorn

04/08/2017 / 9:13 am

Thank you! I think that as a blogger you always want to write about the latest things, but that can get boring real fast.

3. Nina Kobi
    03/08/2017 / 2:55 pm

I'm glad you now focused on what you are passioned about insteand of what's trending. These are great tips, I would definitely add some meditation time to my daily life. I love compliment people if I like something about them and sometimes it surprises people.. This was a great post to read. Nina's Style Blog

04/08/2017 / 9:14 am

Thank you! Yeah, it`s always nice when you compliment someone and you see their face brighten up.

4. Demilade Aina
    03/08/2017 / 3:45 pm

It's great that you're focusing on talking about what you like and not just what you think you should be talking about! I like the goals you've set out. I would like to eat more vegan as well. Great post! xxCoco Bella Blog

04/08/2017 / 9:15 am

Thank you. I read in a post of yours that you want to eat more vegan as well, good luck to both of us I guess.

5. Emzi
    04/08/2017 / 6:07 am

This series really sounds great and I look forward to seeing more posts. 🙂 I wish you good luck with your list of good habits. I believe that you will be able to do them 🙂

04/08/2017 / 9:14 am

Awww, thank you, I`m very excited for this series.

6. im sunny
    04/08/2017 / 7:47 am

One more step near nature, Great and beautiful post thanks for sharing with us.How to Find a Best Ladies Handbag Online

04/08/2017 / 9:15 am

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

7. SofiaaDot
    04/08/2017 / 7:54 am

So true that you do need to adopt good habits!!xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

04/08/2017 / 9:16 am

Glad you found this post useful:)

8. Hannah Cornish
    04/08/2017 / 8:26 am

I definitely want to sort my sleeping habit out, I feel like that will make me feel SO much better! I've had a similar blog journey to you! I used to blog predominantly about beauty, but now I very rarely write about it! If ever. Just write what makes you happy 🙂

04/08/2017 / 9:17 am

I remember your old posts, they were really nice. But I like your new direction even better:)

04/08/2017 / 12:09 pm

this is a beautiful post lovely! Loving the tips you have given at the end. Sleeping and exercising are definitely my priorities. I should also try a vegan diet fora while and see how that goes and how my body reacts to it!Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

04/08/2017 / 5:37 pm

Start with a day and see how that goes. Then make it to 2-3 if you don`t have any reactions.

10. Rosanna Briguglio
    04/08/2017 / 12:58 pm

Sounds like a good list of things to do. I definitely agree with the exercise and compliments points!Have a lovely weekend :)Rosanna xRose's Rooftop

04/08/2017 / 5:37 pm

Thank you. It`s always nice to compliment people, small things have such a big effect.

11. Jenny Wu
    04/08/2017 / 1:54 pm

Sleeping + waking up earlier and exercising more are 2 of my goals as well, and I agree that taking small steps is more practical than trying to achieve the end goal immediately. This sounds like a wonderful series and I can't wait read more from it!Jenny | Geeky Posh

04/08/2017 / 5:38 pm

I`m very excited for it and already planing the next posts.

12. Shireen L. Platt
    04/08/2017 / 8:56 pm

I hate the term 'clean eating' because it gives the impression that certain food is bad and dirty and it causes unnecessary paranoia against eating in general. Good for you in putting yourself first and your very realistic approach towards change. Thank you for such a positive post! xxShireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

07/08/2017 / 3:45 pm

That`s why I don`t agree with the clean eating movement as well. So much paranoia!

13. Kim Alston
    05/08/2017 / 5:47 pm

Good for you! All of those things help bring out the best of you both inside and out. We don't need all of those things. I only buy makeup that I'm interested in and share my thoughts on the blog.http://www.averysweetblog.com/

07/08/2017 / 3:46 pm

Yes, that`s what I`m trying to do as well. I think we as blogger should promote a more conscious shopping.