48 hours in Amsterdam: How to Make the Best of Your Time

Living in London has its disadvantages when you`re travelling. For instance, museums in London are free of charge, unless it`s a special exhibition. But everywhere else in Europe, you have to pay. And when you have 3-4 museums on your list, it can get a bit pricey. There are also some unspoken British rules that offer me a certain peace of mind. Like always staying on the right side of an escalator. As a foreigner, London was a bit chaotic at first, but now I consider it the greatest city in the world. (yeah, the Prime Minister wants me out, but who minds her?) Or do I? After a short trip to Amsterdam, I`m shocked to say that I`m confused. Cause Netherlands is pretty amazing and if I could learn the bloody language, I`d move there in a second. (pesky immigrant coming to steal jobs coming through)

I`m not going to lie, when I started telling people I`m off to Amsterdam I was met with a naughty grin. And while some might people go there for the lack of inhibitions (Red Ligh District), I was more fascinated by the old buildings and beautiful canals. I was mesmerised by the care-free attitude of its citizen. And the food played a big role, but more on that later.

Day 1

Despite its infamous name, I`d say that the Red Light District should be the first destination on your itinerary. There you`ll find Oude Kerk, an 800-year-old church which is considered Amsterdam`s oldest building. Surrounded by beautiful canals, it`s the perfect location to enjoy some drinks and watch the bikers go by.

Red Light District is also the place to enjoy some street food. Around every corner, you`ll find shops that sell Vlaams Friteshuis. Which roughly translates to french fries with mayonnaise. And you need extra calories for walking, Amsterdam is full of sweet places.

While I believe one could spend days marvelling at the beauty of Amsterdam`s canals, a canal cruise might be more useful. The prices start from 10£ and all rides last for more than an hour (obviously, the more you pay, the better the trip). Various tours cover different areas, so pick wisely. We got a boat from the dock in front of Central Station and our tour included sightseeings of NEMO, The Opera and The Skinny Bridge, amongst others.

Some cruises offer dinner or lunch, which is a nice idea if you`re a couple. If you`re with a large group of friends like I was, then a hop on-hop off cruise might be the best for you.

Towards the evening I`d suggest you head up to Rembrandtplein, central Amsterdam. Filled with a variety of restaurants, you`ll find something that would satisfy even the pickiest eater. And if you want to burn some calories, there`s a nice selection of clubs as well.

Day 2

If you have the chance and money, I`d advise you to visit all of Amsterdam`s Museums. I was quite tempted by Van Gogh Museum myself. But this was more of a budget trip, so I had to choose wisely. (again, museums are free in London, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). But one museum you should not miss is the National Maritime Museum.

Close to it, you`ll find Nemo. Not the fish, the Science Museum. The view from the roof is absolutely spectacular, so I highly recommend it.

When we were on top of Nemo we noticed a windmill in the distance, so we decided to explore it. Little did we know that it will take us to a special restaurant. Magical is the word when you think about Langendijk. From the chilled atmosphere to the rustic decor, everything screams cosiness. And the food is pretty amazing also.

Truth be told, there were so many more places I would have loved to see! But we got the vibe of the city and it was enough to convince us that we want to go back.

P.S. I have a new Insta account, if you want to check it out: @georgianateglas

1. Michelle Joseph
    28/07/2017 / 9:19 am

Amsterdam looks like a really picturesque place to visit. That is the only reason why I would go. I didn't know about the Red Light district until a while ago haha.Mich xhttps://michjosephblog.wordpress.com

03/08/2017 / 9:05 am

It`s such a beautiful place, you should definitely visit.

2. Di from Max The Unicorn
    28/07/2017 / 12:20 pm

I'd love to go to Amsterdam! Love the Pulp Fiction street art at the Tasty Burger! That's my fave movie!Di from Max The Unicorn

03/08/2017 / 9:06 am

The place looked amazing, I loved the decor as well.

3. Velvet Blush
    28/07/2017 / 12:21 pm

I've actually been hearing a lot more about Amsterdam recently and more about the tourist spots, rather than you know, which I think is good as you get to find out more about the culture. I actually didn't know about the right hand side thing in London, so I made a mistake by standing on the left haha! x Velvet Blush

03/08/2017 / 9:07 am

I had that problem when I first move here, had no idea why people are giving me the stink eye:))

4. lifesyle-tale
    28/07/2017 / 1:00 pm

Amsterdam is such a beautiful city. There is so much so do and explore. Thank you for sharing. Have a nice weekend. Love, Esther web: lifestyle-tale.com

03/08/2017 / 9:07 am

Thank you. It`s one of my favourite cities now:)

5. Ankita Bardhan
    28/07/2017 / 2:26 pm

Ahh Amsterdam looks so stunning and picturesque, loved the architecture! The cruise rides sound so fun! Thank you for sharing the pictures, hope you're having a great week :)xxhttp://realgirltalks.com/

03/08/2017 / 9:08 am

That cruise was fantastic, we got to see so many places. Thanks!

6. Samio Renelda
    28/07/2017 / 3:43 pm

So much to see and do! Amsterdam is on my list of places to visit. I really enjoyed the Netherlands when I visited, so I'm sure I'll love its capital! Samiohttp://www.samio.co.uk/

03/08/2017 / 9:08 am

It`s a beautiful country and if you get the chance to go back, definitely visit the capital.

7. Yiotou_La
    28/07/2017 / 4:59 pm

Wow this is probably the third post on Amsterdam I read these days and it makes me want to travel there even more!! It is a beautiful city and so many things to do there, love your photos so beautiful! xYiotapinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

03/08/2017 / 9:09 am

It`s a sign then, you should definitely visit it!

8. Rosanna Briguglio
    28/07/2017 / 5:06 pm

Thanks for the ideas, I really want to go!Have a lovely weekend :)Rosanna xRose's Rooftop

03/08/2017 / 9:09 am

Thank you!Hope you get the chance to visit.

03/08/2017 / 9:10 am

Amazing place and somewhat affordable.

9. BISSQ
    29/07/2017 / 9:38 am

Nice post💞Follow for follow?latest fashion for men in india

10. Shireen L. Platt
    29/07/2017 / 2:33 pm

Amsterdam is in my list to travel to because I think it's a city full of characters and it's special and unique in its own ways. My ex-boss has visited a few times and he always said that it's a must visit at least one in my life. And fresh fries with mayo? Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. LOL!Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

03/08/2017 / 9:11 am

They were really good actually, though the ones with the cheese topic were even better. If you get the chance, visit it, you won`t regret it.

11. Frankly Flawless -
    29/07/2017 / 11:00 pm

I've never been to Amsterdam, it looks so pretty xfranklyflawless.com

03/08/2017 / 9:11 am

Great place, add it to you travel bucket list:)

12. Shelleen
    30/07/2017 / 7:36 am

Great tips, I'd love to go Amsterdam xA Blushing Beauty Blog

03/08/2017 / 9:12 am

Thanks. Fingers crossed you`ll get to see this beautiful place.

13. Nina Al.
    31/07/2017 / 4:53 pm

Amstredam is such a great city ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a great day ! Ninaxoxwww.thecrispylipstick.com

14. Hannah Cornish
    31/07/2017 / 10:09 pm

Ooooh the canal boat trip sounds great! And the street food sounds yum, too. I'd love to go to Amsterdam one day!hannatalks

03/08/2017 / 11:44 am

I think you`ll love it if you go.

15. Alyssa Martinez
    01/08/2017 / 9:48 am

So many thing, so little time! But it sounds you had a great time anyway :)xx Alyssa // STYLE VANITY

16. SEO Go India Store
    01/08/2017 / 10:23 am

Wow, I love this post. Your photos are so amazing.Visit: GOindiastore

03/08/2017 / 9:12 am

Thank you so much!

17. glowy shoe
    01/08/2017 / 2:48 pm

I am adding Amsterdam to my list of places to visit… it looks like a fun country..Would you like to follow each other let me know on my blog Glowyshoes's blog

18. Demilade Aina
    02/08/2017 / 9:28 am

Haha I love your sense of humour. Amsterdam is so lovely, I've never been but I've always been fascinated by the old buildings and the food. I had no idea that you had to pay for museums outside the UK, thanks for pointing that out. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. xxCoco Bella Blog

03/08/2017 / 9:13 am

I was quite surprised when I moved here and realized you don`t have to pay, haha! Sadly, everywhere else I`ve been in Europe you have to pay.

19. The Nerdy Me
    02/08/2017 / 10:44 am

Amsterdam is definitely on my travel list. It's such a vibrant and lively place. It sounds like you had a wonderful time there. I was so surprised when you said that museums are free in London! Like for real?! I'd probably spend all my days in museums if they were free here in Lithuania, haha. -Leta | The Nerdy Me

03/08/2017 / 9:15 am

I was just as surprised when I moved here from Romania. I`ve probably been to the British Museum 50 times.

20. Kay
    02/08/2017 / 12:04 pm

It sounds like you've definitely made the most out of your trip to Amsterdam, hun! We did Paris in 48 hours before and it was mad, but deffo event-packed. 😀 This is a lovely guide, thank you for sharing! xoxoKayhttp://www.shoesandglitter.com/

03/08/2017 / 9:14 am

I did Paris in 48 hours in high-school, it was so exhausting. Luckily I went back 3 years ago and we stayed a week, so we got a better chance to see everything.

21. Zoey Olivia
    05/08/2017 / 7:50 am

I recently went to Amsterdam too! It's such a beautiful city. I 100% feel you on paying for the museums (us Brits are lucky) – we decided to ditch a lot of them because they were hella expensive. Although we did pop in to the Sex Museum – so bizarre haha. Zoey, http://www.zoeyolivia.com

07/08/2017 / 3:48 pm

Ha ha, the guys ended up visiting the Sex museum:)) we tried to see the Anne Frank house, but it was so crowded.

22. Kim Alston
    05/08/2017 / 5:45 pm

I would love to go one day Georgiana! The architecture is amazing. Love the windmills and boats. Would love to taste the food there! http://www.averysweetblog.com/

07/08/2017 / 3:49 pm

I hope you get the chance to visit as it is a stunning city.

23. Charlotta Eve
    08/08/2017 / 10:03 am

I love, love love Amsterdam. It's just a relaxed city, where you instantly feel at home. I've visited several times and I just never get bored of it. 🙂 It's so nice to have friends living there, it's good to know some locals.Beautiful photos!x Charlottawww.charlottaeve.com