How to fake tan: tips for beginners

The first time I fake tanned I was 14, I had a crush on a boy and I thought that if I don`t look like a ghost he`ll probably notice me. I got the cheapest fake tan lotion from Avon, put it on and left the house. I did not exfoliate, I did not leave it to dry, so you can imagine I looked like a zebra for a few days. (I was also unaware of how to remove it) I did not want to repeat the experience ever again, but a part of me was thinking: you`ve come a long way, you now know how to blend foundation, contour, why not give it a go? So I watched lots of videos about how to do it, but I still had concerns. You see, I don`t want to be an extra for Jersey Shore and a lot of people that use self-tanners look like oranges. However, now I am older and wiser and found the perfect products for me. I also realized that light shades give me the subtle sun kissed look I like, so here are my choices and tips:

DOVE Summer Glow

This is one of the best gradual tanners out there. First of all, like all Dove products, it will leave your skin super soft and hydrated. This applies evenly and the result is 1-2 shades darker than your skin colour. Nothing too dramatic, just a natural sun kissed look. The formula is quite thick, so it takes a while for your skin to absorb it, but other than that I can`t find any flaws.

Rimmel Sun Shimmer BB Skin Perfector

So now you can have a BB cream for your body as well. This product promises to soften, smooth, moisturise, give an instant tan, add a glow, even skin tone, cover, perfect and last for 24 hours. I really like this product, it applies so evenly and I can see results instantly. It`s also perfect for evening because it has that subtle glow. Out of all, I use this one the most, the result looks really natural and flattering.

St Tropez Gradual Tan in Shower

This is quite a recent launch and everyone raves about it. What`s different is the fact that you use it in the shower, you apply it on wet skin, leave it for 3 minutes and rinse it off. The tan will develop gradually, but again, the results are very natural. I find this easier to apply than other self-tanners, maybe because you don have to buff like a mad person for 10 minutes. Because you can`t see the results I was scared I will have some weird patches, but it applies evenly.

And now I`ll share you my tips. Before fake tanning, you have to get your skin in top condition, so try to apply a body lotion or cream daily. Then, on the day you want to start the whole process, make sure to properly exfoliate. Now, some people don`t moisturize their skin before applying fake tan, but I have very dry skin, so for me, it`s a must. What I like to do is go for a cream with a really light texture, apply a small amount and then let it set for 15-30 minutes. After that, I apply my fake tan and make sure I buff, buff, buff. It can take a while, but you don`t want any marks. I would advise using a mitt, it makes the application easier and saves you from orange hands.

I really hope you enjoyed this post and found it useful. Let me know in the comments below if you like to self-tan and if so, what products do you use?

Share:

08/07/2015 / 2:20 pm

I just bought the St Tropez one and I'm loving the results. I've used it 4 times now and it is greatt. No streaks here :)Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

08/07/2015 / 6:02 pm

I love it as well. S easy to apply and looks so natural.

2. alison*elle
    08/07/2015 / 7:03 pm

I tan super easily without trying so I've never actually used fake tan. I think if I ever tried it would be a disaster so thanks for the tips! :)xo, alison*elle

10/07/2015 / 9:05 am

You are so lucky. Last time I spent a week at the beach and no results:))

3. Danielle Beautyblog
    08/07/2015 / 8:21 pm

I just bought InStyle magazine today to get the sample size of the St Tropez tan! I don't think it will be dark enough for me though, I usually use St Moritz or White to Brown! Might be nice to tone down the tan once in a while though! Danielle's Beauty Blog

10/07/2015 / 9:05 am

It`s a really good sample, that`s why I got the magazine as well.

4. Jenny
    09/07/2015 / 1:22 pm

I actually haven't tried the AVON fake tans but love the lipsticks, however I've experienced a similar result using other tans ha,ha! I'd definitely recommend Xen-Tan or St.Tropez now for a natural streak free tan <3 really want to try the shower one I've heard so much good reviews about it xxJenny | Krystel Couture ♥

10/07/2015 / 9:06 am

You should definitely try it, ti`s an amazing product. You can get it with InStyle, it`s only 4£ like that for 50 ml.

5. lauragale
    09/07/2015 / 4:50 pm

I gave up fake tanning years ago; i'm just useless at it! I hate on other people how fake tans can smell biscuit like haha! I'll stick to the once a year Greek tan! :)xxLaura | Lala London: Beauty & Lifestyle

10/07/2015 / 9:07 am

Yeah, I try to avoid the tanners with weird scents. These luckily all smell nice.

6. Hannah Cornish
    09/07/2015 / 8:51 pm

The Dove summer glow one is fab! I used to love using that. I really want to give the St.Tropez one a go, heard so many good things about it! xHannah x hannatalks

10/07/2015 / 9:08 am

You should def try the St Tropez, it`s the easiest self tanner I ever tried.

7. Hilary Young
    10/07/2015 / 1:51 am

This is so fun to read! I never see any post like this and i am soooo excited to try these tips, thanks for sahring this is super fun to read! Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back xkisseshttp://www.theclosetelf.com/

10/07/2015 / 9:09 am

Thanks for the comment, I followed you on Bloglovin.

8. Georgia renee
    10/07/2015 / 3:21 pm

I love the dove tan so good! I need to try the st tropez one though it's such a cool product :)xxhttp://ohgeorgiarenee.blogspot.co.uk

13/07/2015 / 9:22 am

I really like and it`s good if you are pale and want a subtle tan.