Flip Phillips - Flip Phillips Celebrates His 80th Birthday At The March of Jazz 1995 album flac
Genre: Jazz / Audio files
Title: Flip Phillips Celebrates His 80th Birthday At The March of Jazz 1995
Style: Swing, Bop, Big Band, Interview
FLAC version ZIP size: 1731 mb
MP3 version ZIP size: 1495 mb
WMA version ZIP size: 1232 mb
Other Formats: AAC APE VOC MIDI AHX ASF DXD
1 Mat Domber Introduces Flip Phillips 2 Tenor Madness, Great Scott 3 Spanish Eyes 4 Poor Butterfly 5 When You Know You're Getting Old 6 The Claw 7 If I Had A Penny 8 Maria Elena 9 Hashimoto's Blues 10 Sweet And Lovely 11 Perdido
March 24, 1995 - March 26, 1995. March Of Jazz, Deerfield Beach Hilton, Deerfield Beach, FL. Submit Corrections. Relaxation Dinner Ambiance. Celebrates His 80th Birthday at the March of Jazz 1995.
Veteran tenor saxophonist Flip Phillips' 80th birthday was celebrated at a three-day jazz party held in March 1995 by the Arbors label. There were 33 musicians at the event, 18 of whom are featured among the previously unreleased music on this CD. Phillips was still in prime form and he often battles the much younger tenor Scott Hamilton to a draw.
Mat Domber Introduces Flip Phillips.
Flip Phillips - Flip Philllips Celebrates His 80th Birthday At The March of Jazz 1995 (CD, Album). The Howard Alden, Dan Barrett Quintet. The Worlds Greatest Jazz Band At Manchester Trade Hall England 1971 (2xCD, Album). John Bunch With Dave Green And Steve Brown (3). John Bunch With Dave Green And Steve Brown (3) - At The Nola Penthouse Salutes Jimmy Van Heusen (CD, Album).
Recorded in March1995 at Flip Phillips' 80the Birthday Party in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Several tracks (2, 5 & 19) plus the Flip Phillips interview were previously issued on the VHS Arbors ARVHS-2.
See a detailed Flip Phillips timeline, with an inside look at his albums & more through the years. Four Classic Albums: Flip/The Flip Phillips - Buddy Rich Trio/Flip Wails/Swinging With Flip released. Swinging with Flip released. Celebrates His 80th Birthday at the Mar. elebrates His 80th Birthday at the March of Jazz 1995 released. Flip Phillips released. Crazy 'Bout Flip, Vol. 1 1947-1949.
Joseph Edward Fillippelli (March 26, 1915 – August 17, 2001), known professionally as Flip Phillips, was an American jazz tenor saxophone and clarinet player. He is best remembered for his work with Norman Granz's Jazz at the Philharmonic concerts from 1946 to 1957. Phillips recorded an album for Verve when he was in his 80s. He performed in a variety of genres, including mainstream jazz, swing, and jump blues.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||You Can Depend On Me
Written-By – Earl Hines, Louis Carpenter, Luis Dunlop*
|Old Friends Gather|
Written-By – Django Reinhardt
|Tenor Madness / Great Scott|
Written-By – Sonny Rollins
Written-By – Flip Phillips
Written-By – Bert Kaempfert, Charles Singleton, Eddie Snyder
Written-By – Django Reinhardt
Written By – Earl HinesWritten-By – Henri Woode
Written-By – Harold Weeks, Oliver Wallace
|8||When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)
Written-By – Joe Goodwin, Larry Shay, Mark Fisher
Written-By – Vic Dickenson
|10||Am I Blue?
Written-By – Grant Clark*, Harry Akst
|11||Wee (Allen's Alley)
Written-By – Denzil Best
|12||Mean To Me
Written-By – Fred Ahlert*, Roy Turk
|13||Jumpin' At The Woodside
Written-By – Count Basie
Written By – Raymond HubbellWritten-By – John Golden*
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Arbors Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Arbors Records, Inc.
- Alto Saxophone – Phil Woods (tracks: 3, 4, 11 to 13)
- Bass – Bob Haggart (tracks: 8 to 10), Michael Moore (tracks: 11, 12), Milt Hinton (tracks: 6, 7, 13), Sean Smith (tracks: 3, 4, 13)
- Cameraman – Don Wolff
- Clarinet – Buddy DeFranco (tracks: 3, 4, 11 to 13), Kenny Davern (tracks: 6, 7, 13), Peanuts Hucko (tracks: 8 to 10)
- Drums – Butch Miles (tracks: 3, 4, 13), Jake Hanna (tracks: 8 to 10), Joe Ascione (tracks: 11 to 13), Tony DeNicola* (tracks: 6, 7)
- Flugelhorn – Clark Terry (tracks: 11 to 13)
- Guitar – Billy Bauer (tracks: 2, 5, 8 to 10), Bucky Pizzarelli (tracks: 2, 5), Herb Ellis (tracks: 2 to 5, 12), Howard Alden (tracks: 2, 5, 11, 12)
- Liner Notes – Dan Morgenstern
- Piano – Dave McKenna (tracks: 11, 12), Derek Smith (tracks: 3, 4, 13), Dick Hyman (tracks: 6, 7, 13), Ralph Sutton (tracks: 8 to 10)
- Soprano Saxophone – Bob Wilber (tracks: 6, 7, 13)
- Tenor Saxophone – Flip Phillips, Scott Hamilton (tracks: 3, 4, 13)
- Trombone – Carl Fontana (tracks: 3, 4, 13), Dan Barrett (tracks: 8 to 10), George Masso (tracks: 8 to 10)
- Trumpet – Jack Sheldon (tracks: 11 to 13), Joe Wilder (tracks: 8 to 10), Randy Sandke (tracks: 3, 4, 13)
- Video Editor, Graphics – Luke Melton
NotesRecorded on March 22, 1995 at Flip Phillips' 80the Birthday Party in Deerfield Beach, Florida. The VHS was issued as a benefit for the Flip Phillips Scholarship Fund at the University of Miami. There are also interviews included in this 118 minute video, though they are not listed in detail on the outer sleeve.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 7 80941-4201-3 5